Naturalisation. English language requirement. National of a majority English-speaking country

If you want to apply for naturalisation as a British citizen, you must have sufficient knowledge of English language. You will meet this requirement if you are a national of a majority English speaking country.

In this case, you will not need to pass an approved speaking and listening test, or to show that you have an academic degree equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree or above, taught in English.

You will, therefore, meet the language requirement if you are a natonal of one of the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Malta, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, or USA.

You will have to provide a valid passport issued by one of these countries. If your passport is lost, stolen, expired, or with another department of Home Office, you may provide a national identity document instead, or an original letter from your government or embassy confirming your full name, date of birth and nationality.

Please note that even if you are a national of a majority English-speaking country, you still have to pass the Life in the UK test.

If you want to apply for British citizenship or for a British passport and need specialist advice, feel free to contact me. Please note that I am an accredited immigration adviser, not an employee of the UK Visas and Immigration. I charge fees for the advice provided.