Naturalisation. Knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement for those with Settled Status

If you want to apply for naturalisation as a British citizen, you must have sufficient knowledge of life in the United Kingdom, and of English language.

If you are an EU citizen and you have been granted settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme, you have not been already required to pass an assessment of your knowledge of English language and of life in the UK. This is because settled status is granted based only on the evidence of a continuous period of residency in the UK of at least 5 years. There is no need to demonstrate knowledge of English and of life in the UK when applying for settled status.

In this case, the English language requirement for naturalisation will not be met unless you pass an approved speaking and listening Secure English Language Test (SELT) at B1 level or above of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).

Alternatively, you can bring evidence of having an academic degree equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree or above, taught in English (in UK or abroad).

You will also meet the English language requirement if you are a national of a majority English speaking country. There are only two countries in EU accepted as majority English speaking: Ireland and Malta. You must provide a valid passport or a national identity document to show that you are a citizen of one of these countries.

You will also have to pass the Life in the UK test. Visit this page for details about the Life in the UK test.

If you want to apply for British citizenship or for a British passport and need specialist advice, feel free to contact me. Please note that I am an accredited immigration adviser, not an employee of the UK Visas and Immigration. I charge fees for the advice provided.